Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Bahrain


 LK, KW and myself journeyed to Bahrain for a long weekend.  I have to admit that I was looking forward to seeing lots of different things and possibly even walking along a beach.  The reality was though, that it was very windy and thus a lot of our plans were curtailed.  Even with all that I did enjoy my visit.  We went to the National Museum of Bahrain.  I found it extremely interesting, especially the display that was there on the types of burial mounds that have been found in various areas of Bahrain.  Hopefully the next time I visit Bahrain I will be able to drive out to one of the site of many of these mounds.  I have included a picture from the web of one of these burial sites.  As you can see these burial mounds are extensive.
 
http://www.touristspots.org/the-dilmun-burial-mounds-bahrain/

KW standing in the walkway leading up to the National Museum of Bahrain.  I found the "walls" of rope to be very intriguing.  


This was on display outside of the museum.  It was a beautiful art display.  When I saw it I thought of "Poo".  This is definitely something he would have found intriguing.  
 

  
 One of the places that LK and I visited was "The Craft Centre", a group of workshops and a store entirely managed by Bahraini women.We were able to watch women make paper from palm leaves, paint coffee cups using enamel paint, and sew together and adorn traditional Bahrani dress.  We were able to purchase directly from the various workshops which was neat as the women would explain what they were doing.  We were there early in the day and several of the workshops were not yet open.  I would definitely like to go back and see some of the other work that is being done there.  It is an amazing place.  The pictures below were taken in the workshop where the women were doing enamel painting.


Ironically, the coffee cups that the women were working on were for an order here in Kuwait.



An interesting sign that we ran across near our hotel.
Saw this sign in a local grocery store in Bahrain.  Couldn't understand why that sign would be there.  Check the picture below.  That explains it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment